Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

Our Adoption Day and My Letter to You... {Adoption}

Adoption.

I've grown to admire it, to be in awe of it, and understand some of it's depth. Amazed by how much it requires of us, and how much it's been given to us. 


It's complexities stretched me, the ache nearly crippled me some days, but it's beauty is restoring the pieces. It pulls in more people than we could ever know, and it begs us to consider all it's parts. We cannot take it lightly.

As we don't take the Creator's adoption of us lightly.

It is so wildly profound. 







On September 19th our family of four was recognized as family. Something our Heavenly Father knew all along, and something we knew was coming since earlier this year.. but to have the stamp of approval was glory.

It amazes me still how God brings something to the surface to breathe, that which was on the ocean floor breathless.




I sit in bed, the night before our adoption day, emotions flooding every inch of me and I'm poised to write.. and it's a struggle to find the words. 

How do I explain this? How do I share their story with them? A story that must be jumbled, and awkward, and unclear in this moment. How do I make it all clear? How do I give them the lens from which to see their adoption? Lord give me the words, the wisdom, the strength... 

And then it comes to me --from the beginning.


I start to write the story that God has written for you. I write with detail and urgency this story that is for your eyes only. A story that has ups and downs, losses and gains, grief and joy...

"... this is your story, and we desire that you know it well. But it's just the beginning, there are chapters and chapters to go (you're living one of those chapters right now as you read this) and we can't wait to follow this God-story starring you. And son / daughter, adoption does not define you, never let a single person put you down for your past or present, because you are defined by God as loved, wanted, unique, and beautiful. He is doing a work in you that is unfinished and good, and not dependent on what you've done and where you go...

'For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' Jeremiah 29:11

'And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God...' Romans 8:28

We look forward to this life you as our son / daughter. We pray that as your parents, God would equip us to love you well and guide you along a path of faith, and hope, and healing, and joy. We think you have so much potential and so much to offer.. we dream about how far you'll go.. because nothing should hold you back from what God has in store for you..."

I write, pray, cry.. write, pray, cry. A cycle you put this mama through, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. 

You couldn't possibly be more loved than this

And I end it all in deep gratitude. Thankful to God, thankful for the journey that brought us here.. and for all of you that partook even in the slightest of ways





2 comments:

Thank you for your comment. Your input is beyond valuable to me... I look forward to reading it.

Stephanie