Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

When you're Inspired by Spring to Organize a Little... {Home}

Update: I have been living out of suitcases for several weeks, hardly home... and I knew this was coming, but I didn't know how it would keep me from this space. I've so missed being here.
So this girl is back to some sort of routine this week, and delighted to say that, fingers crossed, we have our final home visit with Children's Aid Society this Friday. Over-the-moon-excited? Oh yes.
Our adoption roller coaster took a dip as several home visits were canceled right in a row... and this is why we keep from holding our breath over here.
So we will re-visit this checklist and make sure we're ready for Friday.
Plus, this just in... we require car seat training. I'm serious... and remaining open...

*

It's about to get really real in here.

I would rather shield you from the mess in our home... but then again, that's life right? And after all, a great "after" follows a poor "before".

And that would definitely define our front door space.

Slightly poor and impractical. We manage as a family of two... but I would cringe to see a family of 3, 4, or 5 descend on this space and make sense of it.  

So with family in sight, I'm itching to make this tiny entrance functional to the max. (3'6" x 6'6")





Everything is overflowing. Sigh.

Our shoe rack, and small item basket, and coat hook.

We are in this awkward transition of winter to spring... but I still think, hey, this can be remedied.

Adding to this injury... this space is just mismatched and plain.

So here's the plan:

  • Replace the vinyl floor with leftover porcelain tile from our mail floor bathroom reno
  • Bring interest to the far wall... perhaps stripes?
  • Replace the rug
  • Larger shoe storage 
  • Wall storage for scarves, mits, hats, reusable shopping bags, etc. 

With wall storage my top priority, I was thrilled to spot these while shopping in Homesense here in London, Ontario... 





And at two for $14.99 and the third for $16.99, because it's slightly bigger, I thought it was a great deal.

Having been inspired while browsing Pinterest here, here and here... I thought this might just work for our tiny entrance.



We're leaning towards having these casual, beach-y baskets hang in this empty space... we may have to give the clock the boot.

And no, we don't have hooks just yet... which explains why my handyman is demonstrating our vision.

And he definitely complained that his arm was starting to hurt.

As far as hooks, I'm leaning towards something worn, whimsical.... I'm also thinking of how I could bring some color to these tan bags that blend into our tan walls...

Stay tuned.



Is Spring inspiring you to add storage... and make sense of your busy entrances, or office, or living space?

2 comments:

  1. Idea.
    Consider extending tile from front door to doorway leading to Hall/Kitchen. Two benefits: make foyer appear larger as well as define traffic pattern and delineate living room area. This would involve more tile but maybe your "kind-of-a-handyman" could help! Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol.. I haven't thought of that before.. thanks for the tip!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. Your input is beyond valuable to me... I look forward to reading it.

Stephanie