Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

When You're Listening to Your Own Voice... {Our Adoption Story}

The temperature warms and the snow can't survive without the cold... again unveiling this yard that needs so much work.

We're running out the door, hot tea in a travel mug, my purse bumping along my side.

We're anxious, nervous.

I make this mental note to fix this yard in the spring... to grow grass from the dirt... to fill in all these flaws that the neighbors can see but kindly ignore.

It's one of those days. Noticing all the flaws that make up this home, this yard... this girl.

We live in this car, silent... except the handyman asks, more than once, "Do we need to bring anything?"... "There must be something."

But I'm certain we've done everything :

From saying... yes, Lord... and filling in all this paperwork : 


As the summer heat broke months ago, and temperatures cooled... we sat in this local coffee shop for hours. Dotting every 'i,' crossing every 't.'

Making tough decisions.

But trying desperately to trust Him.


And then somehow summoned this courage to be obedient and deliver this offering of ourselves :


Then the weather turned colder, snow fell, and fell away... And now we find ourselves here.

Making this short drive to begin this certification to be adoptive parents. Our first of four full Saturdays.

A beat up train disrupts the commute... sauntering by without a care... but pushing all these buttons.

I hear my kind man's morning voice break the silence, singing along to this Christian station, groggy and without care... a familiar song from his teenage self

"And the voice of truth says 'Do not be afraid!'
And the voice of truth says 'This is for My glory'
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth..." 

And this weathered train finally gives in to the build up of cars and we navigate these well traveled roads, but pull into this foreign place.

I'm caught by these neon words next to the parking lot that make me regretfully smirk : 

We Need Foster Adoptive Parents Like You

Like me? I'm not sure... this person is feeling so inadequate today. My house is certainly not ready for this (have you seen my lawn?)... nor is this heart (I feel like I need heart surgery to repair this broken girl).

And I realize my own voice... recognize that familiar sound that points out these flaws, shortcomings, mistakes, and shame... as if that's all there is.

And He tells me that, yes, like you.

Walk on this water with me.

Don't be afraid.

Listen to my voice.

I try not to let it happen... but my eyes flood and this throat closes over and over...


And we go... and listen.

Returning home with our arms full of this enormous binder and more paperwork to be done.

Our hearts are full with questions for each other, these unqualified future parents... and I go for a walk and ask Him all the ones we can't answer.

At home, I ask this kind man if he's still, "in this with me"... and he nods without hesitation and gives this look that says, "Do you have to ask? Of course."


So I go and make a file...

And this Adoption takes up more permanent residency... with it's own special place in our filing cabinet home and our heart.

Alphabetically this tab surpasses all the others. It moves to the front of our lives and I love that.

So we try to be organized... and faithful.

Leaving this boat, to walk on the water, arms extended to Jesus.




Do you find yourself stepping out of the boat, into this absolute unknown?
Adoptive/Foster parents, would you share any encouragement you have for this stage in the process? I will read all of it with my kind man...

19 comments:

  1. I can't share any insight into the process or the emotions that go into being adoptive/foster parents. I can, however, share that God makes no mistakes and as we trust and lean 100% on Him He promises to lead, protect and prepare us for the task. When we are weak He is strong!

    Love you guys and will be praying as you go on this journey together!

    Derek Stapleton & Family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you commented. Thank you for your reminder that He "prepares us"... because that's one of our greatest concerns. I pray His strength shines through this weak couple :)
      Thankful for all your prayers.

      Delete
  2. Dear Stephanie and Luke
    As we pray for both of you through this journey, we know you are in God's hands. As a future Oma and Opa we are here for you every step of the way!
    Much love
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed over and over that we have you in our lives. We are so blessed.
      Thank you for your comment, Rachel.

      Delete
  3. okay, so this is like being pregnant, sans morning sickness! sweet deal. ;)

    haha, in all seriousness, this is so exciting, stephanie!! praying for you guys & your future little ones... i can't wait to what amazing & wonderful things God is going to do in and through your family! :)

    ♥alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I don't have a due date! :)
    You're great Alyssa. Thank you for being excited for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so excited to see the journey God takes you on with this adventure. Can't wait to meet your future children! Praying for you guys as you step into this process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely writing! And also what a brave undertaking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Chad! Appreciate that you stopped here. Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steph and Luke,

    So very excited for you guys and praying for you as you step out in faith and into the unknown. I can only empathize with the overwhelming feeling of stepping out to do something so extremely new and different that its makes you want to cry, curl up or run. However, to overcome that fear is in itself a great step of building confidence in yourself and eachother as a couple and the Lord will bless you greatly for following him.

    Deuteronomy 5:29
    Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever!

    Love you guys and praying for this new exciting journey!!
    Love Sharon Forbes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're working on this confidence thing... so we appreciate your prayers and this timely scripture! You've blessed me today. You're a great friend, Sharon!

      Delete
  9. Hey guys, just a quick note to say I'm reading. You guys rock, keep this up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Hey thanks Margaret! So good to see your face.

      Delete
  11. Hey! I loved reading this post! One thing I have learned from my own walk with the Lord is that sometimes He gives us directions or allows us to go through trails that we cannot handle in our own strength. It is in these precious moments that we surrender to Him and His divine will - knowing that He has the strength to help us through whatever it is He has asked of us. As a mother I am okay with being inadequate because i know that He is perfectly adequate in raising my children to know and love Him. Keep up the excellent blogging Steph! Love you!
    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that.. thanks Rebecca for being such a great rock and example for us! We love watching you be a mom... and seeing you surrender to Him.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Your input is beyond valuable to me... I look forward to reading it.

Stephanie